The Journey

The Journey
Excited and Nervous

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

If I could hear from the casket, what would they be saying about me?

Death is so final. I get chills when I think about it. It's not that I'm afraid to die (though I don't want to die in certain ways). I know we all will die. I just hate that we don't know when. Actually, I guess that is better, isn't it? If we all knew when we'd die, things would be boring. God's design is such that we must try to live each day as if it were our last because in all reality, it could be. What troubles me is that we refuse to realize this fact, and as such, we allow so much time to pass by without doing things we ought to be doing on a consistent basis: like tell people how we feel, live life to the fullest, love hard and stopping to smell the flowers.

I got a call last night from someone who at one time I considered my sister, my BFF, my 'nothing could come between us' friend. She and I had not spoken in about a year. We had a 'disagreement' and due to pride, I never reached out to her. We'd been friends for fifteen years, sharing in each others' happiness and sadness and it's hard to swallow but I let that all go due to pride. She texted me to tell me a mutual friend had died suddenly. Now, when people say 'suddenly', we take that to mean that they weren't sick and there was no indication that they were going to pass away. Guess what? There never is any indication. NEVER!

Instead of texting her back, I picked up the phone and called her. I didn't even think twice. It was nice to hear her voice, even if it was under those circumstances and it put a lot into perspective for me. Just like that, I could have gotten news that she had died and vice versa. It didn't feel good. In fact, it made me rather sick to know that I could have lost her without even saying I was sorry or "I love you". It hit home hard.

We talked about the death of our friend and all I could keep saying was, 'wow, that doesn't make sense'. Well, guess what! It made perfect sense. We are not promised tomorrow, not one of us are and the sooner we realize that, the better off we'll be, the more we'll enjoy life and the sooner we'll forgive those who wronged us. I know I have and will.

I may not speak to my 'friend' again but I let her know I loved her and that's okay with me. Sometimes, the people you love most are not supposed to be in your life. If they are, they'll end up there....again. So, tell them you love them and let LIFE have control. I hate living with regrets and I have made it a point to try to avoid that at all costs. It's a struggle on a daily basis but what I've learned is that God only gives us what HE knows we can handle. He also assures us that HE is right there beside us to help us through.

What will they say about me when I die? At that point, it won't matter to me, will it? But, I'd like people to say, 'she lived life to the fullest', 'she was a good person', 'she loved openly', 'she (followed by all good things). I'm going to try to do my best in this life. With that in mind, I'm going to continue on loving unconditionally, forgiving quickly and living like I'm dying, because guess what?! I am. We all are.

1 Love all-I mean that ;-)


John 14:1-4 “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.”

No comments: